Tofino chef Lisa Ahier's Killer Fish Taco Recipe
Originally from Texas, Lisa's road to Tofino has followed many trails including a number of years in New York, studying at the CIA, the Culinary Institute of America.
After graduating with honours from cia and spending some time creating beautiful food for others Lisa felt that it was time for a change.
Inspired from an article years past, Lisa visited Vancouver Island and fell in love with it's natural wonders. That was the beginning of SoBo.
Here is Lisa's Fish Taco recipe, one of the signature dishes at SoBo in Tofino:
I've always tweaked this recipe according to what fish is readily available: in New York I used snapper and in Texas I used bass. Here in B.C., salmon and halibut have become my all-time favourites. Don't be a slave to the recipe; buy what's fresh and nice. The salsa should reflect the season; in the summer I use peaches and blueberries, in autumn pears and apples, in winter pineapples. I love to pair these tacos with a lovely bed of greens with just a little olive oil and lime juice. Serving them with traditional Mexican beans and rice is wonderful as well - or simply in the hand alone is refreshing.
Killer Fish Tacos
16 taco shells
1 lb halibut fillet, medium diced
1 lb wild salmon fillet, medium diced
1/2 cup chipotle chiles canned in adobo, pureed
1 cup red onion small diced
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp kosher salt
Dice the red onion and puree or finely chop the chipotles.
Dice the fish into 1-inch pieces.
Pat fish dry and season with kosher salt. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate-high heat. Add the onions and saute them for 1 minute; add the fish and fry for about 3 minutes until just cooked. Add the chipotle chiles, stir for 1 more minute and remove from heat.
Fill taco shells halfway with fish mixture, then top with fruit salsa.
Fresh Fruit Salsa
1 cup kiwi fruit,
1 cup pineapple, small diced
1 cup mango, small diced
1 cup papaya, small diced
2 avocados, small diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Prepare the fruit salsa by dicing the ingredients small enough to fit into a prepared taco shell — smaller than a fruit salad, but not so small that the fruit turns to mush. Combine the fruit, avocado and cilantro. Refrigerate until ready to use. The holding time is about 24 hours as the fruit starts to break down. Also note that if you intend to prepare the salsa in advance, don't add the avocado until immediately before serving, as avocado turns brown quickly.
Tofino food & cuisine articles
- The First Feast! Tofino-Ucluelet culinary festival Apr. 2011
- Tofino Chocolate: A sweet Treat! Feb. 2011
- Tofino festival food: No fruit is forbidden here... June 2010
- Tofino nutrition: Top 8 Foods to promote Longevity Feb. 2011
- Tofino wildfood recipe: Nettle Pudding Sep. 2002
- Tofino recipe: Ziggy’s French Toast Sep. 2002
- Tofino food: West Coast Shrimp June 2002
- Tofino food: Wine Pairing April 2003
- Tofino recipe: Vincent Fraissange's Tuna Tartare May 2009
- Tofino recipe: Lisa Henderson's Roghan Josh Aug. 2008
- Tofino food: Lisa Ahier's Killer Fish Taco Recipe Aug. 2006
- Tofino chef Rob Wheaton's Ahi Tuna Recipe Feb. 2007
- Tofino chef Nigel Davidson's seafood cannelloni Sep. 2006
- Tofino chef Matthias Conradi's Squid & Potato salad Apr. 2007
- Tofino recipe: Mark Wrigley's Leg 'o' Lamb Oct. 2006
- Tofino chef Mark Wrigley's shortbread cookies Dec. 2005
Tofino food & Tofino restaurant profiles
- Tofino business profile: Chocolate Tofino May 2008
- Tofino business: Common Loaf Bake Shop Sep. 2005
- Tofino business profile: Melanie's Greens Aug. 2002
- Tofino profile: Chef Mark Wrigley Sep. 2005
- Tofino business profile: Trattoria Conradi July 2005
- The Sixth Annual Lantern Fest
- Introduction to Beginners' Surf Equipment
- Tofino tides: Tide table for Tofino August 200
- Pacific Rim National Park: The South Beach Trail
- Tofino concerts: Music in August 2006
- The Sea Lion Invasion
- Tofino Profile: Taylor Paterson
- Tofino Food: Lisa Ahier's Fish Taco Recipe
- Environment: Roof Over Our Head
- Tofino art: Jeff Burnette
- Break out the Crayons! A Colouring Page
- Tofino Horoscope for August 2006
- Tofino Birding: Brown Pelicans in Tofino
- Adding up the Unthinkables: Get your Butts in Here
- Tofino gardening in August 2006
- Events in Tofino: Calendar for August 2006
- Community Directory: Goods & Services in Tofino
tofino | tofino time | activities | accommodation | events | directory
maps | travel | food | art & artists | photos | horoscope | tides
search | magazine | issues | articles | advertising | contact us
hosted in tofino by tofino.net & studio tofino
© 2002-2014 copyright Tofino Time Magazine in Tofino Canada
Lisa Ahier shares her famous Killer Fish Taco recipe, one of the signature dishes of SoBo in Tofino.