St Columba Church in Tofino
St. Columba Anglican Church sits at the corner of Second and Main Streets
tucked behind trees and rhododendrons. The property, consisting of
two lots, was purchased for $100, with money that came from people
in the community. Records of these pledges are shown in the minutes
from a meeting of the Westcoast Mission, dated March 16, 1911.
The church was built in 1913 with funds sent from England and the
instructions to build a church “on the most beautiful spot on Vancouver Island” in
the memory of Francis Beresford Wright.
Rev. George Aitkens was appointed to design and build the church
in the style of one he had previously built at Shawnigan Lake. The
was built on cedar posts, a style common to the coast. In 1967 a
cement block foundation was put in.
The rhododendrons were planted in 1925.
Some of the earliest weddings at the church, performed by the first
minister, Rev. L. A. Todd, were those of Nancy Shanker to Sofus
Arnet (Dec. 30th, 1913) and Jack MacLeod to Jennie Grice.
The Church is open to the public for viewing on certain days
of the week, check the sign.
text & illustrations are excerpts
from ‘a walk in time’ courtesy of the raincoast education
society. used with permission. ‘a walk in time’ is a booklet
with history of landmark buildings on main street. worth reading, best
in combination with a leisurely stroll down main street. available
atthe rainforest interpretive centre
for two dollars.
Rainforest Interpretive Centre
452 Main Street, Tofino, BC
(the big yellow building at fourth)
St Columba church in Tofino was built in 1913 – as instructed – 'on the most beautiful spot on Vancouver Island'.