11th annual Tofino Film Festival: Oct. 23-28
by Kimberly Johnstonton, Tofino
The 11th annual Tofino Film Festival will take place from October 23rd to 26th. The festival will include a family matinee, a collection of shorts, a music documentary, environmental films, and some intriguing feature narratives. The schedule will be posted throughout Tofino by the second week of October. Tickets will be available at select locations in Tofino and Ucluelet and also available for sale at the door.
This year's film festival is a celebration of veteran directors and rookie film makers alike. We have local favourite Andrew Struthers closing our festival on Sunday night and for the first time ever we are featuring a Guerrilla Film Contest. The contest will kick off our festival on October 22nd at 9pm at Shelter Restaurant. The contest invites people from Tofino and Ucluelet to submit short films (from 3-5 min) for consideration. The films will be reviewed by the Guerilla Film Contest committee and shown on Wednesday evening. The night is aptly called, "Dinner and a Movie" featuring drink and food specials.
We are encouraging everyone to get out there and make a short film. You can submit films individually or as a team so feel free to partner up with coworkers and friends! The point of this contest is to get our communities involved in actual film making and raise some awareness about the art before the festival commences. Cell phones, hand held cameras, still cameras, Super 8's, the Canon gl2 -- they're all welcome to this contest. Remember we're looking for original content! Once you get your films down to dvd please drop them off at the Mermaid Tales Book Shop.
We are also pleased to announce the return of Shawn Robinson, art show coordinator from last year's festival, who will be facilitating a local vernissage. If you are an artist who would like to participate in this event please contact Shawn at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We're looking ahead to a very exciting and dynamic festival this year. Please join us in celebrating film in Tofino this fall.
For more info, please email email@example.com.
There is online support for amateur film makers, editing advice, and a blog to share ideas: tofinoguerillafilm.blogspot.com
- Tofino Film Festival: February 17-20, 2016
- Pacific Rim Whale Festival: March 12-27, 2016
- Artsplash PRAS Art Show: March 12-20, 2016
- Tofino Shorebird Festival: April 29 - May 1, 2016
- Feast! Tofino-Ucluelet: May 6-22, 2016
- Clayoquot Island Open House: May 21-22, 2016
- Tofino Public Market: May - September, 2016
- Tofino Food & Wine Festival: June 3-5, 2016
- Pacific Rim Summer Festival: June 30 - July 9, 2016
- Ukee Days: July 22-24, 2016
- Tofino Lantern Festival: August 14, 2016
- Tofino Beer Festival: September 26, 2015
- Queen of the Peak: September 30 - October 2, 2016
- Tofino Oyster Festival: November 17-19, 2016
- Tofino Winter Celebration Artisan Festival: Dec. ?, 2016
- West Coast Winter Music: Nov. 2, 2015 - April 2, 2016
The 11th Annual Tofino film festival takes place from October 23 to October 26 this year. Andrew Struthers will introduce his new short movies.